Monday, December 11, 2017

Monday Reviews: Made You Up by Francesca Zappia





Made You Up by Francesca Zappia
Published May 19th 2015 by Greenwillow Books
Genres: Young Adult, Mental Health-Mental Illness, Romance, Contemporary, Fiction
Page: 428
Rating:
5
of 5 stars
Review by: Tina



Synopsis

Reality is often not what you perceive it to be. Alex fights a daily battle to figure out the difference between reality and hallucination. Alone, she wages a war against her schizophrenia, determined to stay sane long enough to get into college. Then she has her freedom, away from the watchful eyes of her parents, away from the judging looks of her classmates. 


Thoughts

"Real or not real?"

I've said this in Eliza and Her Monsters and I'll say this again, watch out for Francesca Zappia. She writes compelling realistic stories! Her YA contemporary romances are phenomenal. Especially the heart felt mental illness issues.


Review

Alexandra is diagnosed for paranoia and schizophrenia after an incident that happened when she was 7 years old that her mother believed to be made up. She goes through daily routines from checking her surroundings to taking photos to examine later, constantly questioning her visual and audio hallucinations.

Her reality begins to bleed into her hallucinations when she meets her childhood friend on the first day of senior year. I love Alex meeting Miles. Two unlikely anti-social outcasts finding friendship, understanding, and love. They are so perfect for one another. And both equally flawed. I also love the squad. Charming, loyal, reliable, and funny. They make a great team for these highly functioning introverts. 

This story is unbelievably pure. I've never read anything this complex. I thought with all the modern medicine has to offer, Alex would be able to seek help and relief. But her reality is so blurred and she shatters each time she discovers what she think is real isn't. It has me questioning what are the truths in her life.

This story also throws me for a loop. Each time I think I know what's about to happen, it goes another way. Moments of joy mixed with incredulous scenes. And times when I expect a happier moment, the rug is pulled out under me. Brilliant writing. Always a joy picking up Francesca Zappia's book.




No comments:

Post a Comment