Sunday, April 24, 2016

Shon Review: Throne of Glass


Title / Author: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
Published May 7th 2013 by Bloomsbury USA Children's
Page: 404
Genres: Young Adult, Romance, Fantasy
Source: Bought Amazon
Rating: 1.5 or 2 stars? I CAN'T DECIDE JUST YET!


Synopsis

"
Nothing is a coincidence. Everything has a purpose. You were meant to come to this castle, just as you were meant to be an assassin."

When magic has gone from the world, and a vicious king rules from his throne of glass, an assassin comes to the castle. She does not come to kill, but to win her freedom. If she can defeat twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition to find the greatest assassin in the land, she will become the King's Champion and be released from prison.

Her name is Celaena Sardothien.

The Crown Prince will provoke her. The Captain of the Guard will protect her.

And a princess from a foreign land will become the one thing Celaena never thought she'd have again: a friend.

But something evil dwells in the castle—and it's there to kill. When her competitors start dying, horribly, one by one, Celaena's fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival—and a desperate quest to root out the source of the evil before it destroys her world.

My Thoughts...


Where do I begin. I think if I had just read the above synopsis about this book instead of listening to others people opinions and review on this book. I would not have gone into this book with such high hopes and expectations.

For example, on the back of the book there are quote/reviews from Publishers Weekly and USA Today. Publishers Weekly says it's "A thrilling read." USA Today said it "A must-read for lovers of Epic Fantasy and fairy tale."

And there ladies and gentlemen is the problem. People refer to this book as an Epic Fantasy. I read this book there was nothing epic or fantasy about it. It was nothing more then a romance novel just a contemporary romance novel.

The heroine in this novel was described as the world's best assassin. But to me she was nothing more than a whiny drama queen she was more concerned about how she look and the clothes she wore.

But the thing that irritated me the most, was the instant love and the thing I dread more than anything. A Love Triangle! I cannot stand a love triangle! I don't understand why authors keep putting love triangles into their story. I have never once met a person that says 'I love a story with a love triangle in it.' They're annoying, they're useless and they take up wasted time in the story!

So for those who have not read the book let me give you a quick summary of the story before I continue with my ranting. So basically the crown prince of this kingdom goes to this prison camp to retrieve an assassin so she can compete in a contest to become the king's champions which is just a fancy word for being the king's personal assassin, which was the thing that sent her to the prison camp in the first place.






Spoiler Alert!


On their travels from the prison camp back to the palace the prince turns and look at the assassin and think she's beautiful. But don't think this is just a one-sided attraction, when they take her out of her cell and present her to the prince she looks at him and goes he's attractive.


Because she's been in a prison camp for a year the captain of the guard, who is also the Crown Prince best friend, has to train the assassin and get her back into shape and of course while training her he falls in love with her.

While reading this book I stopped and text Tina and told her this book just went from a contemporary romance novel to a drugstore romance novel. There is a part in the book when the prince touch the assassin and she was like I want him to touch me again it felt nice.

So there is this a masquerade ball scene and guess which two people danced the whole night together until the wee hours of the morning? You guess correctly if you said the crown prince and the assassin and who stand in the corner and being jealous? If said the captain of the guard then give your self 3 points.

After the Assassin wins the competition and becomes the king's personal assassin she breaks up with the crown prince and tell him I can't work for your dad and have a relationship with you because in four years I'm leaving.

She tells the captain of the guard I broke up with the crown prince and he is super excited.

But all is not lost, the reason I'm debating if this is 1 or 2 stars because buried deep deep deep in this book there was a story but every time the stories was trying to develop and go some where the author went back to the annoying romance stuff.

One last thing. I might be a little curious to see where the story goes but not curious enough to go out and pay full price. Maybe if I see the second book in the library. Or one day see it in a used book store for $0.99, I might pick it up. But I'm not going to run out and buy the book today no thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment