Monday, April 17, 2017

Monday Reviews - This Song Will Save Your Life




This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales
Published October 10th 2013 by Macmillan Children's Books
Genres: Fiction, Young Adult, Coming of Age, Contemporary, Romance, Music, High School, Teen
Page: 276
Rating: 5 of 5 stars
Review by: Tina
 

Synopsis 

Making friends has never been Elise Dembowski’s strong suit. All throughout her life, she’s been the butt of every joke and the outsider in every conversation. When a final attempt at popularity fails, Elise nearly gives up. Then she stumbles upon a warehouse party where she meets Vicky, a girl in a band who accepts her; Char, a cute, yet mysterious disc jockey; Pippa, a carefree spirit; and most importantly, a love for DJing.

Told in a refreshingly genuine and laugh-out-loud funny voice, This Song Will Save Your Life is an exuberant novel about identity, friendship, and the power of music to bring people together.



Review / Thoughts

This is such a refreshing fun read! At first, it reminded me of 13 Reasons Why, since my mind is still on the Netflix series I watched only a week earlier, then slowly the story unravels.

--------------------

There is such overwhelming sadness and loneliness in this story. There were several occasions when I looked into my own adolescence and remembered how difficult it was to be a teenager. The lack of self-worth, the struggles of acceptance, all were conveyed heavily in the story.

When Elise discovers she can express herself through her love for music, her world changes. I love the diverse list of songs mentioned in the book. When I heard We Are Your Friends by Justice vs. Simian, bright colors and feelings burst into my mind. I envision the power of music and see the crowd of dancing bodies jumping to the songs Elise plays. I love how the story revolves around music. It gives a magical essence. And Elise sees the fruits of her efforts. Very empowering and uplifting. It doesn't hurt that I'm also reminded of the movie We Are Your Friends starring Zac Efron. Another powerful story about the love of music.



No comments:

Post a Comment