Monday, October 14, 2019

Shon Review: The Babysitters Coven

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/44054568-the-babysitters-covenThe Babysitters Coven
Website | Instagram | Goodreads 
Publication Date: September 17th 2019
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Pages: 368
Genre: Young Adult | Fantasy | Paranormal
Source: Own

Available for Purchase:
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository



Synopsis

Adventures in Babysitting meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer in this funny, action-packed novel about a coven of witchy babysitters who realize their calling to protect the innocent and save the world from an onslaught of evil.

Seventeen-year-old Esme Pearl has a babysitters club. She knows it's kinda lame, but what else is she supposed to do? Get a job? Gross. Besides, Esme likes babysitting, and she's good at it.

And lately Esme needs all the cash she can get, because it seems like destruction follows her wherever she goes. Let's just say she owes some people a new tree.

Enter Cassandra Heaven. She's Instagram-model hot, dresses like she found her clothes in a dumpster, and has a rebellious streak as gnarly as the cafeteria cooking. So why is Cassandra willing to do anything, even take on a potty-training two-year-old, to join Esme's babysitters club?

The answer lies in a mysterious note Cassandra's mother left her: "Find the babysitters. Love, Mom."

Turns out, Esme and Cassandra have more in common than they think, and they're about to discover what being a babysitter really means: a heroic lineage of superpowers, magic rituals, and saving the innocent from seriously terrifying evil. And all before the parents get home.

My Thoughts:

This was a very slow build up.  It took about 25% into the book for the story to begin.  I felt most of the back story could have been eliminated.

So about halfway into the book I had to stop and look at the reviews on Goodreads to see if I was the only one who was having problems with this book.  I was so happy to see that I was not alone.  

The author is not a bad writer, the story flow very well. It's to bad that the story is just so painful boring.  There where part of the story, where you felt the author building up to something then there was no payoff.

For example, let's take a look the 'villain' (for a lack of a better word), who shows up and drop this big bombshell and then literally vanish. I'm thinking to myself that the author is setting up the next book. Where are two protagonist will track him down in the next book. Spoiler warning! I was wrong.

I like how one the last pager said: THE BABYSITTERS ARE BACK FALL 2020. I'm like they might be back, but I will not.  I do not see myself continuing on in this series.




xoxo,
Shon

No comments:

Post a Comment