Monday, January 4, 2016

Carry On (5 of 5 reviews RR)

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell             
Published October 6th 2015 by St. Martin's Griffin
Genres: Fantasy, Young Adult, Romance, Fiction
Page: 522
Rating: 4 of 5 stars
Review by: Tina

Synopsis
Simon Snow is the worst chosen one who’s ever been chosen.

That’s what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a complete git, but he’s probably right.
Half the time, Simon can’t even make his wand work, and the other half, he sets something on fire. His mentor’s avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and there’s a magic-eating monster running around wearing Simon’s face. Baz would be having a field day with all this, if he were here—it’s their last year at the Watford School of Magicks, and Simon’s infuriating nemesis didn’t even bother to show up.

Carry On is a fictional story out of RR's contemporary novel Fangirl. 


Review

Ah finally... I have finished it! Let me first say, this was not an easy read for me. I kept imagining an awkward version of Harry Potter and I couldn't separate the two stories.

There was a lot of anger and angst from the hero and I was growing frustrated and impatient wondering why the story is so beloved by many readers. 

Reading and waiting and then Chapter 32 happened...o m g. I knew what the story was about, I just didn't know how it would get there. From then on, the story picked up quickly. I was able to lay down the foundation of the story and follow it to the end easily. There was quite a few references to the plot of Harry Potter 2 and Harry Potter 3 so I envisioned the scenes as Simon, Penny, and Agatha going on those adventures.

I'm grateful the story wasn't a complete "fan-fic" as I imagined. There was no smut, no distasteful scenes, just simple down-to-earth-love. The epilogue was a pure joy to read, wrapping up the story very nicely. All in all, I liked it. Made me fall in love with Fangirl all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment