Sunday, January 31, 2016

Shon's January Reading Wrap Up & Book Haul

Hello Bookworms!  This is my January Reading Wrap Up & Book Haul.  


January Reading Wrap Up


This month I readed a total of 3 books.


A Thousand Nights by E.K. Johnston 

A Thousand Nights is a retelling of the classic Arabian Nights: Tales from One Thousand and One Nights.  It about a nameless 17-year-old heroine who takes her sister's place as wife to a murderous king. And so she is taken in her sister's place, and she believes death will soon follow. But thanks to her sister's prayers she acquires godlike powers. She discovers that the king, Lo-Melkhiin, is possessed by a demon fascinated by her newfound powers.

I think I was expecting a little more from this book.  


One thing I did not like about the story was nobody had names except Lo-Melkhiin. All the characters in the story were referred to as my sister, my mother, my sister's mother, my youngest brother, my father, it was a little confusing and I found it to be more than a little distracting.


I did enjoy parts of it and it did keep my attention. I'm just not sure how I feel about the ending.



Not If I See You First by Eric Lindstrom
Not If I See You First is about Sixteen-year-old junior Parker Grant who lost her sight and her mother in a car crash. Parker has some strict rules to keep her life manageable. Some of the rules are warn her before touching her, don’t assume blind means stupid, don't deceive her.


For the most part, I enjoyed Not If I See You First. I enjoyed Parker voice and the relationships she had with other people.  It is towards the end of the book where things go downhill. Parker's narration of her struggles turned into a pity party, and you started to lose interest.


School Spirits by Rachel Hawkins
School Spirits is about fifteen-year-old Izzy Brannick was trained to fight monsters. For centuries, her family has hunted magical creatures. But when Izzy's older sister vanishes without a trace while on a job, Izzy's mom decides they need to take a break.

This was a fun read. School Spirits is a spin off of the Hex Hall series by Rachel Hawkins.  


Izzy goes on her first solo mission. Stop a ghost from haunting a high school. A simple job, all she has to do is to find out who the ghost is and pour some salt over the grave at the end of the month.


There is just one problem, Izzy have never be to school before. This is where all the fun start.  Watching Izzy negative thru high school and learning how to make friends is funny. 



One thing I love about  School Spirits, Izzy had no clue about high school. She kept comparing her interactions to moments from a high school drama she watched, that her mom bought her so she could see how kids in a high school act.




January Book Haul 



This month I pick up a total of 18 books.


  To All the Boys I've Loved Before                            P. S. I Still Love You                            A Court of Thorns and Roses 


                Sword and Verse                                               Truthwitch                                             Thief of Lies


             An Ember in the Ashes                                       Shade Me                                           The Heir and the Spare 





           Luckiest Girl Alive                                   This Is What Happy Looks Like                      You Know You Love Me



                  UnWholly                                                    UnDivided                                           They All Fall Down




           Name of the Wind                               Written in My Own Heart's Blood                A Once Upon a Time: Reawakened




No comments:

Post a Comment