Sunday, January 10, 2016

Shon Reviews Not If I See You First

Title / Author: Not If I See You First by Eric Lindstrom
Publisher: Poppy
Year Published: December 2015 
Genres: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Source: Bought
Rating:  3.75/5 stars


Synopsis


The Rules: 

Don't deceive me. Ever. Especially using my blindness. Especially in public.


Don't help me unless I ask. Otherwise you're just getting in my way or bothering me.


Don't be weird. Seriously, other than having my eyes closed all the time, I'm just like you only smarter. 


Parker Grant doesn't need 20/20 vision to see right through you. That's why she created the Rules: Don't treat her any differently just because she's blind, and never take advantage. There will be no second chances. Just ask Scott Kilpatrick, the boy who broke her heart.


When Scott suddenly reappears in her life after being gone for years, Parker knows there's only one way to react-shun him so hard it hurts. She has enough on her mind already, like trying out for the track team (that's right, her eyes don't work but her legs still do), doling out tough-love advice to her painfully naive classmates, and giving herself gold stars for every day she hasn't cried since her dad's death three months ago. But avoiding her past quickly proves impossible, and the more Parker learns about what really happened--both with Scott, and her dad--the more she starts to question if things are always as they seem. Maybe, just maybe, some Rules are meant to be broken.








My Review


I was a little skeptical about reading this book, I usually don't read contemporary. The book starts off a little depressing, the author hit you with some much stuff in the prologue. 

The story is about about sixteen-year-old Parker Grant, who lost her mother and her sight when she was seven, and she lost her father at the end of her sophomore year of high school.


So, once you get past the very depressing and slow start the story really picks up and I found myself laughing out loud. 


I love the beginning of the story. There wasn't to much world building and the backstory was fun to read about, and I got a feel for who everyone was quickly.


For the most part, I enjoyed Not If I See You First.  I enjoyed Parker voice and the relationships she had with other people. In particular, I liked her friends and her little cousin.


It is towards the end of the book where things go downhill. Parker's narration of her struggles turned into a pity party, and you started to lose interest.

2 comments:

  1. Sad to here about the end of the book not being as good, but you still sold me on this! I just requested it from my library! One of my favorite tropes to read about is an old love returning. :D Great review, Shon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope you enjoy reading it. I really did like the story, it was such a cute reading.

      Delete